Latest on Idaho Killings: Suspect Makes First Court Appearance

The 28-year-old Bryan C. Kohberger, who is accused of fatally stabbing four University of Idaho students, consented to the transit from Pennsylvania to Idaho. What happened? Idaho’s MOSCOW — the Four University of Idaho students were found stabbed to death in a home close to campus. A 28-year-old man who had been researching criminal minds is about to be extradited to Idaho. 

Suspect : Bryan C. Kohberger 

On Tuesday, Bryan C. Kohberger appeared in court for the first time in Pennsylvania while being restrained and dressed in a red jumpsuit. He signed a waiver permitting officials to take him to Idaho after responding to a series of typical questions from the court. He responded that he was not when the judge inquired about if he had a mental illness or was taking any medications that would impair his decision-making.

Authorities have not yet explained the case’s motivation, Mr. Kohberger’s relationship with the victims, or how they came to recognize him as a suspect. According to his public defender, Mr. Kohberger, a Ph.D. student at nearby Washington State University, has expressed excitement at being cleared. 

Source link: 

The murders 

The murders on November 13 shocked Moscow, Idaho, a college town that hadn’t seen a homicide in seven years. Authorities pleaded with the public for information and footage that could help them piece together what had caused such a heinous crime for weeks without being able to identify a suspect. 

The mystery surrounding the killings, which attracted internet sleuths throughout the nation as they attempted to identify suspects and potential motives, has been heightened by Mr. Kohberger’s arrest. After two of the victims had been at a pub together and two others had been at a party on a usual Saturday night, the murders took place. 

Ethan Chapin, 20, came going to see his girlfriend, Xana Kernodle, who was one of the victims. Madison Mogen, 21, Kaylee Goncalves, 21, and Xana Kernodle, 20, all lived at the house. 

Kohberger studies criminal justice. 

Mr. Kohberger, who was detained on December 30 in the early hours at his parents’ home in Effort, Pennsylvania, had recently been attending Washington State University, which is located just across the border from the University of Idaho. 

Some of his former students claimed he had a long-standing passion for criminology and the mindsets of criminals. One student recalled that he had been deeply involved in a debate about forensics, D.N.A., and other evidence prosecutors use to secure convictions in the days preceding the deaths. Records indicate that he continued to grade papers in his role as a teaching assistant in the days that followed. 

Before beginning his studies at Washington State, Mr. Kohberger attended DE Sales University, a Catholic college in Center Valley, Pennsylvania. There, he studied under forensic psychologist Katherine Ramsland, author of “The Mind of a Murderer” and “How to Catch a Killer,” among other books. He graduated from DE Sales University with a bachelor’s degree in 2020 and from graduate school in June 2022. 

A Reddit user going by the name of Bryan Kohberger appealed for those who have served time in prison to fill out a poll on their crimes and mindsets last year. The poll asked participants to explain their “thoughts, emotions, and actions from the beginning to end of the crime commission process” and identified Mr. Kohberger as a student investigator at DE Sales University who collaborates with two professors. Bill Thompson, the chief prosecutor in Latah County, Idaho, revealed that Mr. Kohberger had been accused of felony burglary and four charges of first-degree murder. 

Merriment and several phone calls 

Many students were out having fun on a typical Saturday night after a University of Idaho football game in the hours before the deaths. According to the police, Mr. Chapin and Ms. Kernodle went to a party at the Sigma Chi fraternity on Saturday night. At around 1:45 a.m., the couple, who had been dating since the spring, went back to Ms. Kernodle’s house. 

According to investigators, Ms. Mogen and Ms. Goncalves went to the Corner Club bar together at around 11 p.m. and stayed there until 1:30 a.m.10 minutes after that. A streaming video camera caught Ms. Mogen and Ms. Goncalves stopping at a late-night food truck where they were placing an order. When their lunch was done, they left after mingling with others on the sidewalk while conversing and grinning. According to the police, they were taken home by a “private party.” 

According to Ms. Goncalves’ older sister, a neighbor’s security camera captured Ms. Mogen and Ms. Goncalves coming home at 1:56 in the morning. According to Ms. Goncalves’s older sister, Alivea Goncalves, seven missed calls from Ms. Goncalves’s phone to a friend were made between 2:26 and 2:52 a.m. Additionally, Ms. Mogen’s phone was used to call the same buddy multiple times, according to the authorities.

The calls were made to Jack DuCoeur, a student who had been Kaylee Goncalves’ boyfriend for several years until recently, when they decided to leave things peacefully, according to Alivea Goncalves. She stated that there were no other calls on her sister’s phone account at the time and that Mr. DuCoeur missed the calls because he was sleeping. Mr. DuCoeur has chosen to remain silent regarding the calls. “Stand with Jack 100 percent and know he had nothing to do with anything,” Alivea Goncalves said of herself and her family. 

Two surviving roommates  

Although they have not given a specific time, investigators have stated that the four victims were killed early on Sunday, Nov. 13. According to Cathy Mabbutt, the coroner for Latah County, all four of the victims were most likely dozing off when they were attacked and may have been in their beds. She claimed that all four of the victims appeared to have been repeatedly stabbed with a big knife and that some of the victims may have attempted to defend themselves. 

Ms. Mabbutt declared, “It’s such a horrible crime. “According to Ms. Mabbutt, none of the victims displayed symptoms of sexual assault. 

Ms. Goncalves’ father, Steve Goncalves, said at a vigil held at the University of Idaho in November that his daughter and Ms. Mogen, who had been friends since sixth grade, had been killed in the same bed, a claim that the police would not confirm. Two additional female housemates were present but were not harmed while the four buddies were being slaughtered. Investigators hypothesized that the two had dozed off during the murders.

There are two bedrooms on each floor of the home’s six total. The victims, according to the authorities, were discovered on the second and third levels. One of the women who lived upstairs “had passed out and was not waking up,” according to the two housemates who were still alive when they called some of their friends to the residence. Just before noon, when the friends arrived, one of them dialed 911, prompting the police to go look for the victims. The 911 call’s recording or transcript will not be made public by investigators.

The two surviving roommates, according to the police, had each been out of town on Saturday and had returned home by one in the morning. 

For more info: @dissenttimes  

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *