A beauty pageant is a competition that has traditionally focused on judging and ranking the physical attributes of the contestants. The term beauty pageant refers originally to the Big Four international beauty pageants.
Beauty Pageants are a way girls can learn important life skills while also having fun. It’s a way to learn the difference between winning and losing and also gaining friendships, not even just in beauty pageants, all other different types of pageants such as rodeo queen pageants and “natural pageants” girls are able to learn more about themselves.
Beauty pageants give girls additional skills that they can use in their life growing up. From competing it gives them more confidence, develops social skills, poise and personality.
Beauty Pageants are degrading. But there are pageants, also known as competitions, that bring out the best in young women and are free to enter.” Slowly pageants are losing girls who compete because they don’t want to run in competition, they would rather run in pageants which are the same thing just competitions help other women that cannot afford the high end outfits.
Another quote from this article is, “Most girls have to be graduated toward the coveted crown; hence they attend the same kind of pageant over and over. Usually this is to the tune of thousands of dollars.”
Benefits of being a pageant
It is obvious why many young girls have the desire to enter pageants. They have dreams, and part of those dreams is to win the prizes, to be named the most beautiful, to wear a sparkling crown – a lot of glamour and fantasy! But why should they be encouraged to enter the pageant?
Through pageants young women gain untold benefits and learn invaluable life skills. The best thing about competing is that it does not require “winning” to reap the benefits. These are just some of the rewards a participant may gain:
- Self-confidence – She will learn that she is capable of doing more than she imagined. As she learns and grows and achieves her goals, she will develop self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Self-discipline, Motivation, and Determination – To work and improve physically and mentally requires determination, tenacity and focus. When a young woman desires something, she is motivated, and when she is motivated she will learn to set goals and work to achieve them. She will develop self-discipline as she pursues her objectives.
- Poise – Without question, she will learn poise as she goes through the competition – personal poise in one-on-one interviews, and stage presence in front of a crowd.
Should beauty pageants be banned?
- Such competitions and beauty pageant have a very wrong influence on society as we all quickly follow the media trends. All this is basically sending the wrong message to our younger generation girls where they are made to understand that being perfect and pretty is extremely necessary. This affects their self-esteem and may even cause depression.
- With the influence of beauty pageants, young girls may focus more on their outward appearance instead of building life skills and career. This change of direction can affect their whole life.
- They promote cosmetic surgeries. Women these days, are ready to spend thousands of dollars on getting hair extensions, fake teeth, botox injections, body implants, spray tans, branded outfits and makeup products. This could be extremely expensive to afford and such expenses are never-ending. Cindy Jackson, a known television star. has a world record of 52 plastic surgeries done by her. Some women can even get addicted to such practices and then theres no look back. This is the direct influence of society’s importance to beauty.
- Beauty pageant can increase the objectification of women.
- Young girls having a budding start to this beauty industry, mostly get too much involved in succeeding their career. With such obsession, they are easy targets of designers and managers at high posts that they tend to take advantage of their innocence.
Some people are big fans of such pageants whereas some others have boycotted such shows right from the beginning. These contests are not only restricted to adults or females but also encourage small children and men to come forward and participate. We can’t say whether beauty shows are good or bad, because not all will agree on what is good and what is bad. As they are going to stay, it is necessary to reform them in such a way that they do not create insecurities and low self-esteem in young girls. Then beauty shows will turn into harmless and entertaining.