The central government reported that ordered the blocking of a BBC documentary allegedly incriminating Prime Minister Modi in the Gujarat riots. It has been reported that the central government has issued an order to the YouTube company to block the documentary released by the BBC on Prime Minister Modi.
The Godhra train burning incident in 2002 riots in Gujarat and the attack on Muslims created a national shock. Opposition parties made various accusations against the then Gujarat Chief Minister Modi saying that ‘no proper security measures were taken to prevent riots during these incidents’. Meanwhile, the Supreme Court dismissed the case filed against Modi in this regard last year.
In this situation, the BBC media released a two-part documentary on Modi in connection with the Gujarat riots titled “India: The Modi Question” last Tuesday. In this documentary, the British inquiry is said to have accused the then Modi government of Gujarat police not making efforts to prevent violence against Muslims. In this situation, Union Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Arindam Bagshi has explained about the BBC documentary. In this regard, “It is noteworthy that this documentary has not been screened in India. And the documentary is a reflection of the agency that produced it. We think this is a piece of propaganda designed to present a specific, discredited narrative,” said Arindam Bagshi.
The news received mixed reviews. In this situation, it has been reported that the central government has issued an order to the YouTube company to block the documentary released by the BBC on Prime Minister Modi, and that the central government has also issued an order to the Twitter company to delete more than 50 Twitter posts published in connection with the video. It is also said that the Twitter company has deleted the Twitter post posted by some opposition leaders including Trinamool Congress MP Derek O’Brien regarding the documentary. All these actions are said to have been issued by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to YouTube and Twitter under the Information Technology Act, 2021. Both YouTube and Twitter have reportedly agreed to follow the order.